Abstract Submission Guidelines and Instructions - ASCB
Although abstract rejection is rare, ASCB reserves the right to reject any abstract it deems inappropriate. To ensure abstract acceptance:
Content Please be sure your abstract contains the following prior to submission:
Formatting Please follow these guidelines when formatting your abstract:
Enter Authors and Assign Affiliations
Enter Author Disclosures, If Applicable
Undergraduate Authors You can indicate that you or another author on your abstract is an undergraduate student. All those indicated will be invited to present a poster in the ASCB Poster Competition for Undergraduates on Saturday, December 3 at 3:30 pm. Only ONE undergraduate from each abstract may present in the competition. By checking the box next to the author, you expect that this undergraduate student will be attending the meeting and will present in the ASCB Poster Competition for Undergraduates. If the box is checked, we will send an email invitation to the undergraduate student in mid-October.
Author DisclosuresThe ASCB requires that audiences be informed of presenters, authors and contributors academic and professional affiliations, and disclosure of any significant financial interest or other relationship with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product(s) discussed in a presentation. This policy allows the listener/attendee to be fully informed in evaluating the information being presented. Disclosure includes any relationship that may bias one’s presentation or which, if known, could give the perception of bias. These situations may include, but are not limited to:
- stock options or bond holdings in a for-profit corporation or self-directed pension plan
- research grants
- employment (full-or part-time)
- ownership or partnership
- consulting fees or other remuneration
- non-remunerative positions of influence such as officer, board member, trustee, or public spokesperson
- receipt of royalties
- speakers bureau
Enter Submission Title
- Add Italics, superscript, and subscript.
- Only capitalize the first word. Do not use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
Publishing Status QuestionYou will be asked the publishing status of your research submitted in your abstract. At the time of submission, please indicate if:
- All or some of the research has been published, or
- None of the research has been published.
Enter Abstract Text
- Enter your abstract using one of two methods:
- Type it into the site. Use editing tools as needed.
- Copy from a Word document. If you are copying and pasting from Word, select the icon (Microsoft Word Icon with a green check mark) on the menu bar above the submission box.
- Check the abstract preview to ensure all special characters and formatting converted properly.
- Do not enter any author information at any point during Step 2. Your author information was generated in Step 1 and appears if you click “Preview With Author Block.”
Select Presentation PreferenceIf you submit by the August 2 deadline, you can choose one of four presentation preferences (Click here for a description of available presentation formats):
- Minisymposium Talk: Your abstract will only be considered for a Minisymposium Talk, or Microsymposium Talk. If your abstract is not selected for a talk, we will attempt to contact you about the option of presenting a poster. Selecting Talk only does not increase your chances of being selected for a talk.
- Minisymposium Talk OR Poster: Your abstract will be considered for a Minisymposium Talk, Microsymposium Talk, or a poster. If you are selected for a talk, you will not present a poster.
- Minisymposium Talk AND Poster: Your abstract will be considered for a Minisymposium Talk, Microsymposium Talk, and a poster. If your abstract is selected for a talk, you will present a poster.
- Poster Only Consideration: Your abstract will be considered for a poster presentation only. It will not be reviewed for a talk.
Select Emerging Categories (If Applicable)Indicate if your research involves:
- Cross-cutting meeting threads:
- Medical implications of cell biological research
- Physics, chemistry, engineering and mathematical approaches
- Immune system cells
- New technologies
- Non-standard organisms
- Synthetic biology
Select Minisymposium and/or Poster Topics
- Select the appropriate topics from the drop-down menus (on the right).
- Click here to view Minisymposia/Microsymposia Topics.
- Click here (and select “Poster Topics” on the left of the page) to view Poster Topics and Subtopics.
- Your primary and secondary poster Subtopic must be different.
If you already have a MyASCB account, and you created a payment profile, you can use it to pay.
If you are not currently an ASCB member, or you are a lapsed member, you will have the option to join or renew and pay your dues in the same shopping cart.
If you are not currently an ASCB member and you do not wish to join the ASCB, you will be able to enter your payment information and check out as a nonmember.
Please note: When you submit payment, a preview page will pop up asking you to confirm your abstract and submission details appear correctly. You will have the opportunity to make edits, or confirm and pay.
To edit or withdraw an abstract, please click here to see the instructions.
Note: Abstracts that have been submitted successfully and paid for will NOT be refunded, even if they are withdrawn.
If you accidentally submitted your abstract twice, please contact Alison Harris, ASCB Director of Meetings, so we can verify this and process a refund.
Please be sure to provide the submission ID numbers for both abstracts.