The Ultimate List of Great Research Paper Topics (+ Samples)
In both high school and university, you will be required to write research papers. Yes —papersin the plural. The very first undertaking, when assigned a paper, is to choose from the colossal list of topics for research papers that are available. This is a daunting, even intimidating task, one that many people would prefer to circumvent altogether.
The bottom line is:
There are literally hundreds of topics from which to choose and it can be problematic to know where to begin. However, selecting a high school research paper topic or a college research topic is perhaps less problematic than you think — particularly when you have a little help.
Let’s verify you have complete comprehension of what a research paper is and what writing one entails. After all, you can’t be expressive and creative with a worthy topic if you don’t know how to write the paper.
What is a research paper?
If you aren’t clear on what a research paper is, then you won’t get very far when writing one. A research paper is just as its name suggests — a form of academic writing that necessitates the independent investigation of a specified topic and reports the unique results of that investigation.
Suny Empire State College provides a great and exhaustive explanation of what a research paper is.
In order to write a paper, you are required to write a research question. This is a question associated with your topic that acts as a guide during your research, enabling you to focus and provide unique arguments.
Duke University and Grand Canyon University offer a great explanation of how to formulate a research question.
Before you can produce a research question, you have to choose from the countless research topics available. With that in mind, let’s examine how you can discover some unique research paper topics about which to write.
How to find topics to write about
Unearthing a topic about which to write will be governed by a number of factors, including:
- The course for which the paper is assigned
- Whether there is a topic assigned to you by the professor
- Whether you are given a broad-spectrum subject area
- How much freedom you are given to branch out and select a topic
Hopefully, you have been furnished with some freedom of choice when it comes to choosing from the wealth of academic paper topics. However, if you do have some choice in the matter, you might be speculating about how to narrow it down.
You are in luck!
There are a number of ways to effectively comb through the abundance of research paper topics and discover one that will work well for you. Here are some suggestions:
- Ask your professor. He or she might seem like a task-master, but chances are your professor wants you to succeed and might have some fabulous ideas of interesting things to research. You can also inquire with other university staff and graduate students for ideas. These people know the field well and it provides you a way to get to know them better, something that will work to your advantage.
- Browse through scientific journals and research papers, but be sure to adhere to the most recent research possible. There are bound to be problems and issues discussed in published papers that would make a great research paper topic.
- Investigate other professional and government publications for ideas. Again, keep to the most recent publications, within the last three to five years, if possible.
- Browse through your library catalog to uncover the most interesting areas of study in your field.
- Take notes everywhere you go! It doesn’t matter if you are in class listening to your professor give a lecture, traveling, reading a magazine, watching the news, or watching a TV show or movie, ideas are absolutely everywhere! Write things down whenever you come across something unique and interesting and you just might find a topic to pursue.
When it comes down to it, deciding on one of the many academic essay topics is the most substantial step of the process. This video guides you through the process of choosing a topic.
Once you have that narrowed down, you can focus your research and write a remarkable paper. Now, we want to give you some help. What follows is an extensive list of the most interesting research topics to get you started.
Topics for research papers
Now that you have a good idea of how to search for college research paper topics, you are ready for some suggestions. What follows is a list of good research topics. You might like one of them right off the bat or you might be inspired by a particular topic and write something related to it.
Want to know the best part?
By the time you are finished reading this academic topics list, you will feel much more proficient in writing your research paper.
Perhaps some of the best college research topics these days are IT research paper topics. Explore these ideas for the most interesting research paper topics for college:
- Procedures to Enhance IT Security
- New Methodologies and Challenges to IT Management inHealth
- Interrelation, Patterns, and Existing Theories on Behavior and IT
- Common Services Center vs. Community Multimedia Center: Selecting the Correct Variety of IT Service
- Racial and Gender Issuesin the IT Domain
- Innovative Theories Regarding Computer Imitation of a Human Being
- The Impact of Digitization of Medical Records on the IT Domain
Human history is abundant in many treasures, and despite what you might believe, not all of them have been explored. There are many incredible history research topics, such as:
- Palestine and the Golan Heights
- Premises, Progression, and Consequences of the Cold War
- The Most Remarkable Revolutions in History
- Has Slavery Transformed the Development of the Western World?
- Could Damage from the Bubonic Plague Have Been Diminished?
- Strange Medieval Family Laws and Their Influence on Society
- Life in London in the 15th Century
- Religious Cults in Ancient Societies
Psychology is an ever-expanding discipline and there is a multitude of psychology research paper topics from which to choose, such as:
- The Origin of Phobias and Fears: Engaging the Monster Within
- Dreams: Are They Messages from Within?
- Mechanisms of Thinking: It’s All in Your Head
- Factors that Influence Behavior and Character
- Mechanisms of Aggravating Habits
- The Function of Short- and Long-Term Memory
- Why People Yearn for Their Past
- What Entices People to Amass the Most Preposterous Things?
- Is Autism a Disease or a Development Idiosyncrasy
- The Impact and Outcomes of Social Networks and Mental Health
- How Memory Works: Recalling the Essential
- How Depression Impacts the Immune System
- A Phenomenon-Oriented Approach to the Study of Depression
- How to Manage Post-traumatic Stress Disorder in Children
- Depression as a Cause of Celiac Disease
- Fighting Depression with Techniques to Relieve Anxiety
- The Consequences of Depression and Relationship Problems
- Eating Behaviors in Different Cultures
- How Behavioral Patterns Develop
- How to Forecast and Shape Behavioral Patterns
- Differences and Similarities in the Behavioral Patterns of Diverse Cultures
- Is There a Genetic Link to Optimism that Can Shape Behaviors and Attitudes?
- The Causes and Consequences of Insomnia
- How to Combat Child Violence
- How Defense Mechanisms and Behavioral Patterns Work
- How Bilingualism Works: The Secret of Processing Mechanisms
- How Fear-Related Beliefs Fit into the Cognition Process
- Following the Cognitive Process Involved in Anxiety Disorders
- How to Fight Emotional Distress
- Unusual Mental Health Cases and Cognition
- Applying Psychological Approaches to Ethical Reality
- HowMotivation Plays a Role in Human Development
- The Shared Elements of Self-Affiliation and Self-Determination
- An Examination of the Causes and Results of Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- New Ideas Regarding the Peculiarities of Rational and Social Development
- How Practicing a Healthy Lifestyle Cures Disease and Promotes Wellness
- Conflict Solution in Parent-Child Relationships
- Evaluating the Challenges of Preterm Development in Children
- How to Battle Cognitive Deficit in Parkinson’s Disease
- Is Attention Deficit Disorder a Neuropsychological Problem?
- Examining the Process of Making Decisions and Taking Risks
- The Impact of Music Genres on How the Brain Works
- How to Fight Childhood Disorders
- Shattering Long-Standing Myths about ADHD
- Intellectually Gifted People: How Is It Possible?
Ideas around education are always changing and this has resulted in a wide range of research topics, such as:
- Where Theory Encounters Reality in Gender Issues
- Test Anxiety with Regard to Contemporary Methods of Teaching
- The Effects of Contemporary Teaching Methods
- The Mental Process behind Human Learning
- The Interpretation of IQ Test Results
- Should Children Be Rebuked when They Misbehave?
- How to Prohibit School Bullies and Harassment
- The Creation of Particular Learning Methods for Blind Children
- Positives and Negatives of Contemporary Methods of Teaching and State-of-the-art Innovations
- The Function of Technology in Lesson Planning
- Is There a One-Size-Fits-All Strategy for Education?
Perhaps there is nothing more complex than human culture and how people have interacted with each other throughout history. For this reason, these cultural topics might be of interest to you:
- The Impact of Advertisements and Commercials on How People Comprehend the World
- The Implicit Messages of Mass Media: What You See Is What You Get
- How the Most Remarkable Cultural Achievements of the 20th Century Influenced Contemporary Art
- The Repetition of Cultural Tendencies: The Greeks Did It First
- Social Roles Adults Endorse to Children via Toys
- Social Models Mass Media Bestows on Teenagers and Adults
- Eating Habits in Dissimilar Cultures
- The Origin of Racial Discrimination
- The Segmentation and Integration of Humans
- The Impact of AIDS on Mankind
- A New Comprehension of Past Events
- Unearthing a Common Language: Divorce Preventionand Family Therapy
- Painting a Portrait of the Average American Family
- The Roots of Antisemitism and How It Manifests Today
- A Case against Cruelty to Living Beings
- An Examination of the Current Job Market and Unemployment
Topics for Argumentative Essays
It is easy to find unique argumentative research paper topics. After all, we live in a crazy world in which all kinds of interesting things happen. Here are some suggestions:
- Political Commitment and Television
- Should Marijuana Be Legalized
- Can People of Different Races Ever Understand EachOther
- Abusive Relationships: Where to Draw the Line on what Relationships Should Be Allowed to Exist
- Are There Realistic Limitations on Abortion?
- The Many Guises of Violence in Society
- The Impact of Women on World History
- Are Social Interactions Possible Without Lies
- Dealing with Overpopulation: Can it be Accomplished Ethically?
- Torture: Is it Ever Acceptable?
- The Ethics of Using Animals in Research
- Human Dependence on Computers: Beneficial or Harmful
- Post-9/11 Security Measures: An Invasion of Privacy or Good Sense
Topics for Your Science Research Paper
Science is always bursting with new and exciting topics as we delve deeper into the mysteries of the universe and technology. Here are a few topic suggestions:
- What Cloning Has in Store for Humanity: Altering the Personality
- How Nanotechnology will Impact Modern Science
- Will Uranium Isotopes Precipitate the Next Scientific Revolution?
- How Psychoactive Drugs Influence the Central Nervous System
- Deafness and Using Echolocation
- The Role of Erythropoietin and Calcitriol in the Human Body
- The Process of Feeling Pain:Treatment and Pain Relievers of the Future
- Is Nuclear Energy Too Hazardous to Use?
- Nuclear Weapons: A Responsibility for which No Country Is Prepared
- People’s Impact on Climate Change: The Cost of a Technological Breakthrough
- Key Issues and Potential Solutions for Toxic Waste Disposal
- Are the Effects of Global Warming Reversible?
- The Future of NASA
- Endangered Species: Causes and Concerns
- Black Mold: The Bathroom Invasion
Health Topics for Research Papers
Just like science, health care is always changing, particularly as technology advances. With new discoveries in disease research and new technology being developed every day, the following topics are great examples of what you can write about in your paper:
- Should Image Scan Radiation Be Reduced to a Minimum Level?
- Health Care and Insurance: Concerns and Problems
- The Most Likely Outcomes of Recent Health Care Reform
- Old Theories and New Methods of Sports Injury Rehabilitation
- A Look at Celebrities Who Have Battled Cancer
- A Comparison of Conventional and Alternative Cancer Treatments
- How Clean Needle Programs Benefit Society
- The Need for Education on Nutrition in School
- The Impact of Diet on Health
Business Research Topics
Business is a broad field, so there are plenty of topics you can write about, such as:
- Deliberating on the Secrets of Effective Leadership
- How Time Management Influences the Prosperity of a Company
- How to Resolve Conflict between Staff and Management
- The Function of Diversity in the Workplace of the 21st Century
- Management by Walking Around: Effective or Fruitless?
- Should Businesses Be Regulated: Pros and Cons
- Social Media and Word-of-Mouth in the Digital Age
- How the Digital Age Has Transformed Small Business
- How Mobile Technology is Altering the Workplace
- The Future of the Franchise
- How the Millennial Employee is Transforming the Workplace
Sometimes, there is no surrogate for a great paper on literature, and with the changing world, there are always innovative ways to observe literature, even the classics. Here are a few topic suggestions:
- The Innovative Era: Poets of the 21st Century
- A Dissection of the MostIllustrious Novels in History
- The Hunger Games: Over and Above Pulp Fiction
- The Future of Copyright
- An Examination of Racism in Novels from the 1960s and 1970s
- The Perception of Exile in Literature
- Culture and Literature: Which Affects Which?
- An Examination of Homosexuality in Literature
- American Policy of Intervention
- The Future of the European Union
- Causes of World Hunger
- Iraq’s Weapons of Mass Destruction
- The Justice System and Juvenile Criminals
- Afghanistan—Success or Stalemate?
- Was Media Coverage of SARS Adequate
- The New World War: Fighting Terrorism
- Same-Sex Marriage: Are Laws Keeping Up with Changing Attitudes?
- BREXIT: Good or Bad?
Fun Things Topics
- How People are Affected by Death of a Game Character
- Challenges Faced by People Creating Their Own Cartoon
- Beloved Comic Strip Characters and Their Influence on Society
- An Examination of UFOs: Fact or Fiction
- What If Aliens Do Exist: The Impact on Humanity
- Is There Differentiation between Déjà vu and Precognition?
- The Existence of Spirits and How to Communicate with Them
- Theories Regarding the Bermuda Triangle
- Investigating Alternative Cosmology Theories
- Does Fortune Telling Have a Scientific Basis?
- Law of Attraction: Fact or Fiction?
- Who Is More Intelligent, Men or Women?
With all of these topics at your disposal, you might still be feeling a little overwhelmed. However, they are divided into categories to make choosing one easier. However, it might be helpful to look at some great research paper samples. Purdue and Trinity Washington University offer great samples. Here are some other research paper samples:
There are so many resources out there that will help you choose a topic and write an outstanding paper. This video gives you a bunch of topics for research papers, which means you now have even more from which to choose!
There is no doubt that writing a research paper is a daunting task. Again, there is plenty of guidance out there for writing a methodology, formatting your paper, and writing an awesome conclusion.
If you still feel you need help, even if you have managed to choose a topic, you can always hire a custom writing service to help you produce a fabulous research paper of which you will be proud and will guarantee you a good mark.
Whether you choose to write it on your own or get some help, we wish you luck writing your paper!