How to Convert PDF to ODT
Of all the alternative document processing suites to Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org is by far one of the most popular. It's open source nature offers a more customized and flexible user experience with convenient add-ons developed by a large community of dedicated users.
Thus, it comes as no surprise that PDF files are often converted into the Writer (.odt) format as well. You can do two things to convert your PDF to OpenOffice document formats. One basic way is to copy the material from your PDF file and paste it into a new Writer document. Another is to export and save your PDF document in MS Word format and re-save it as an .ODT Writer file. Take a look.
To Convert PDF to ODT in PDF Converter Elite:
- 1 Download PDF Converter Elite and run the program upon the installation
- 2 Click the Open button and choose the PDF file you wish to convert.
- 3 Then click on the OpenOffice icon from the Toolbar menu or click on the PDF to OpenOffice option from the Convert menu bar.
- 4 A panel will appear on the right side of the screen. There you can choose the selection type. You can select all the pages, a specific area or a desired page range.
- 5 Choose the Conversion mode (Writer, Calc, Impress) and click the Convert button.
To Convert PDF to ODT in Adobe Reader 11:
- 1 Open the PDF document you wish to convert in Adobe Reader 11.
- 2 Make your selection of all images and text by going into the Edit menu and selecting Copy File to Clipboard. This will copy the entire file to the clipboard.
- 3 Next, open a new OpenOffice Writer document. Then choose Paste from the Edit menu and save your file under a new name.
To Convert PDF to ODT in Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro:
- 1 In Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro, open your PDF.
- 2 Click on File > Save As Other… > Microsoft Word > Word Document and save your file.
- 4 From the File menu, select Open. Among the supported file extensions, choose either Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (*.doc) or Microsoft Word 2007 XML (*.docx;*.docm), depending on your format. For this tutorial, our format was .docx.
- 5 Click on Open.
- 6 Once your file is opened re-save the file as an ODF Text Document (.odt) (*.odt) format.
Your PDF content will then be saved in the OpenOfficer Writer file format. Of course, for more convenience, there are PDF tools that can convert PDF to ODT directly. Using one can save you the hassle of having to re-save your content from .docx to .odt and help your PDF conversion go more smoothly.